On March 6th, 2023, a special class on “Peace” was held at a junior high school in Osaka (Ikuno Ward, Shintatsumi Junior High School) by inviting nine JICA volunteers as lecturers. Ogo, AAIC’s consultant / public relations and marketing, a former JOCV in Rwanda, also gave a lecture on Rwanda’s efforts to build a peaceful new nation. While introducing local culture, she introduced the people’s experiences in Rwanda— who have overcome the horrific genocide in the past and are striving for peace. Importance of supporting to build of a business in Rwanda for the nation’s further development.
According to the feedback, many students have learned about Rwanda for the first time through this lecture. In addition, there were voices such as:
– “I thought Rwanda’s kind people were amazing”
– “Knowing that Rwanda’s children are learning about Japan’s Hiroshima and Nagasaki at school made me feel a sense of affinity”
– “Rwanda is geographically far away, but I felt a sense of familiarity now”
– “I was surprised to learn that Rwandan people know karate”
– “I want to visit Rwanda near future”
This lecture was shared through a local TV news show- TV Osaka. AAIC is pleased to have this opportunity to introduce Rwanda to the younger generation and discuss “peace” together. We are looking more in the future.